Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Recovering Feminist Gets Hitched


It’s hard to know where to begin after being away from blogging for nearly two months, and away from significant amounts of blogging for even longer. But it would be impossible to re-enter the blogging world without a recap of where I have been. I got engaged on Christmas Eve, started a new job in March, and then got married on May 25 (just a few weeks ago). Needless to say, it has been a whirlwind the last few months. So that is where I have been. Wrapped up in a lot of planning and change—good change though. All this time I have longed to continue writing, I just couldn’t find the time to sit down and put my thoughts together.

But I am back.

Before I assume my regular blogging, though, I thought that I would recap a few things that I have learned in this prolonged absence.

  1. Marriage is a good thing. Though I have only been married for almost a month, I have learned a lot about myself in this time. I am sure more education is coming, too. In light of all the truths that marriage is so much better than dating, and it is, I think the thing that has struck me most is that marriage is the greatest mirror into my soul that I will ever have. Suddenly I can’t sulk all day about something trivial. There is another person who loves me, and cares about the outcome of my faith, who wants to help me through it. And sometimes I don’t want the help. I just want to be a baby. And marriage is a great reminder of how very self-focused I am in these moments.

  2. Change is a good thing. A year ago I was serving in a church and ministry that I was accustomed to, my life was planned out for me—by me, and all of my time was my own. But then I met a wonderful man named Daniel Reissig, and it all changed. I got a new job and then joined Daniel at his church, where he is the youth pastor. And I did not always respond well to the sudden changes. But God showed me, through this change, that I do not own my life. All of my plans were comfortable to me. I was able to be in control when I planned my steps. Change is a humbling thing, because it reminds us that we are not the rulers of our own personal universe. God is. I needed that.

  3. Fellowship is a good thing. In the midst of a new job, new church, and constant planning of a wedding and preparation for marriage, I was not able to spend quality time with other people that I love (besides Daniel, of course). This left a tremendous impression on me. I missed the girls who drew me out of my sin. I missed the families I used to babysit for and see regularly. We are not meant to walk through this journey alone. The busyness of it all made me intensely grateful for the people God has placed in my life. And when I was able to spend an entire weekend with all of them as I joined in marriage to the man who is now my husband I found myself overwhelmed with gratitude to God for giving me such a wonderful life. The wedding weekend was a foretaste of the joys we will have when one day we are all together in glory, praising Jesus forever.

So those are a few things I have learned in these last few months. If anyone is still out there reading, I am grateful that you have stuck with me. And if you aren’t still reading, I can’t blame you! Who wants to read a blog that is never updated! Either way, I am back and blogging and looking forward to walking this Pilgrim road with you.

(Above is a picture of Daniel and me from our wedding day. It was taken by Denny Burk, his daughter was in our wedding.)

4 comments:

whitney said...

yeah! court, i'm glad you're blogging again! i love you, friend!

Courtney Reissig said...

I love you too, dear friend! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad!!! Looking forward to it! Love you, Bean!

Zach Tarter said...

Welcome back!! :) We're still here! Love you Court!!

Love, Emily