Monday, June 7, 2010

My Fish Experience: Broiled Tilapia Parmesan



I made fish for the first time ever tonight. For some people this might be no big deal. But for someone who has had a major fish aversion since getting sick from fish sticks in elementary school, this was a huge milestone. Daniel likes fish and he also likes to try new things. He has been trying to get me out of my boring food routine since we met and tonight was a big breakthrough.

I am sort of dramatic about things, so I was nervous about this meal all day. Would I overcook it? Would I gag when I touched the raw fish? Would it taste fishy? Would it stink up our apartment? None of those things happened, which made for a relieved me and a happy husband. I try to make a few new things a month to build my food repertoire so I think this counts big time!
I made Broiled Tilapia Parmesan. A friend of mine made me a cookbook for one of my bridal showers and it has come in handy. It is a collection of easy and budget friendly recipes that she enjoys. To be honest when I first read the Tilapia recipe I thought, "I am never making that. I hate fish." But I am really glad I did.

Here is the recipe. It is SUPER easy.

Broiled Tilapia Parmesan (serves 8)

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

1/4 cup butter, softened

3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon dried basil

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/8 teaspoon onion powder

1/8 teaspoon celery salt

2 lbs. Tilapia filets

  • Preheat your boiler. Grease broiling pan or line another raised-edge pan with aluminum foil.
  • In a small bowl, mix together the parmesan, butter, mayo and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.

  • Arrange filets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes.

  • Flip the filets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the filets from the oven and cover them with the parmesan mixture on the top side. Broil 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and the fish flakes easily with a fork.

It really did taste good. And I don't even like fish.



No comments: