Friday, August 26, 2011

Friday is for Food: Chicken Chimichangas

I absolutely love.love.love Mexican food. I could eat it every week (or day) and not get tired of it. In fact, I have. In college I worked at a Mexican restaurant and every time I worked (which was almost every day) I got an employee meal. I don't remember a single instance where I was sick of eating mexican food. So when I plan our meals out for the week I have to work hard at not overloading our menu with mexican food. I had never made chimichangas before this week, so I was nervous and excited to try it. But this recipe is amazing! I got it from my dear friend, Laura. Daniel even talked about it all night after dinner! So here goes:

Chicken Chimichangas

For the filling I used a recipe from The Pioneer Woman, but only part of the recipe since it came from her White Chicken Enchiladas.

Ingredients:

Cooking oil (enough to fill 1 to 2 inches in skillet)
Large flour tortillas (I used five)
2-1/2 cups Cooked, Shredded Chicken
2 cups Reserved Broth From Chicken
1 whole Large Onion, Diced
3 whole 4 Oz Cans Whole Green Chilies, Diced (I bought them already diced)
1 whole Jalapeno, Seeded And Finely Diced
1 teaspoon Paprika
1/2 cup Heavy Cream (I only used 1/4 cup)
Salsa
White queso

Directions:

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in separate skillet over medium heat. Add onions and jalapenos and saute for 1 minute, just to start the cooking process. Add chicken, half of the green chilies, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Stir together. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir. Add cream and stir, allowing mixture to bubble and get hot. Turn off heat and set aside.

Heat 1 to 2 inches of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Spoon chicken mixture into each flour tortilla. Roll the full tortilla like a burrito and place seam up in the oil. Fry on both sides until browned. Top with white queso and salsa.

We ate ours with chips and salsa because it was really filling.

Enjoy!



No comments: