Monday, May 14, 2012

Reading on the Cross: What's Up Next

I've heard it said that we should never stray far from the cross of Jesus Christ. It's a common misconception that as believers we somehow move on from the message of the cross and on to more practical, weighty matters. This could not be more untrue! We need daily doses of the gospel. We need regular reminders of what the cross accomplished for us. And we need a clear view of the wonderful place called Calvary, where our Savior bore our sins and died the death that we deserve.

That is why I am really excited to start reading It Is Well: Expositions on Substitutionary Atonement by Mark Dever and Michael Lawrence. My dear friend, Laura, just finished reading it and said it was so helpful and encouraging to her soul. One of the things that has helped me most through our trial these past couple of years is being regularly reminded of God's love for me shown most evidently at the cross. When I feel tempted to doubt God's care or involvement in my life, a healthy dose of the truths of the gospel always helps me greatly. And when I am struggling the most with despair and hopelessness I often find that listening to a sermon, reading a Christ-centered book, or listening to a rich hymn stirs my heart to remember that God is for me. It is at the cross that I see this most clearly.

So I suppose this is a book preview, rather than a book review (though that will come once I finish the book!). If you are in need a fresh reminder of the beauty and wonder of the atonement, I invite you to read along!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for a while... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!